rss search

July 7, 1945

line

Len Dear,                                                                 Saturday July 7, 1945

It’s only early afternoon now and has been thus far an exceptionally long & boring day.  It poured out most of the day and we have been indoors, reading & kidding around – Bob, Rick + Irv (?) are such congenial & pleasant companions that for which I’m thankful because the monotony of our present existence would be unbearable if there were discord among us.

Last night I read till 1 A.M. and then slept soundly till 7:15 this morning when I was awakened by a lady to examine her 18 month son.  The poor child had a very difficult time breathing as a result of involvement of both lungs with pneumonia – so I had arrangements to have him hospitalized immediately – I went back to bed ‘cause there was nothing else to do, although I couldn’t sleep. Finally got up after 10 A.M. – Earle Schinalle came over and and stayed for a while – he also is on orders to go to the 9th Inf. Division and doesn’t know how soon he is to leave – Schley + Larson are going there too.  As yet I know nothing new concerning our moving.  I have half my men in the new town, called Waizenkirchen, about 25-30 miles west of Linz and was told to keep them there till further notice – I sent my jeep back there this after-

-noon to pick up my personal belongings so I’ll be able to change my uniform + underwear, ‘cause I don’t know how long we will stay in this town.  There is talk now that we won’t move at all but I spoke to Major Gautsch before and he said that chances are that we will move to the new town in a few days.

As I gather it, Gen. Rheinhart is trying to keep the 65th intact and have us shipped home in the near future and then rep redeployed once we get back home – but 3rd Army is obviopusly trying to break us up here and redeploy us to various units over here.  What the outcome will be should be known soon.  I wish I had something more definite to tell you.  I know that you are as anxious as I am to know what my disposition is to be – this uncertainty is discouraging.  If I knew that I was/were (?) coming home in the near future, I would mail home many articles of clothing, including my overcoat, jacket, socks, underwear, etc. and thus lessen my burden and make room for my microscope + movie camera projector which I plan to put in my foot locker.  That’s the only place I can put them and hope that my foot locker arrives intact some day.  It’s quite a problem to get that home but I would gladly throw all overboard if I thought I would be sent home to stay.  I’ll finish this later – going to take a shower now and then eat – maybe there will be some mail from you, then I’ll have some thing to write.  I love you, darling.  Kiss Pat for me.  I’ll be back –

Hello again, darling, just returned from deer hunting.  We went out in the midst of a thunderstorm.  In the distance it looked like it would clear and so we started out because deer are plenti-ful following a hard rain – but it was deceptive, the wind stopped blowing and it continued to pour.  All we saw was one doe + its fawn who were brave enough to weather the storm.  We walked through the woods and although we saw no buck, I enjoyed the rain and was wishing, as I always do, that you were walking with me instead of Herbert.  Finally, the sun broke through, the sky became blue and the threatening black clouds became a pretty red and the setting was complete with a rainbow.  It was late by then + we headed for home.  Irv saw a buck 75 feet away, shot and missed it.

The Col. told me at supper that we may remain here for 7-10 days yet.  My men that are there are to stay.  I got my foot locker + personal belongings this afternoon –

They are talking about give us a 3rd battle star for the battle of Austria- We don’t deserve it – it would ashame (?) to give us another but if we do, it means 5 more points – total 53 – What a farce!!  The battle awards, medals + citations get more ridiculous every day.

I received a letter from Bill Breedwick today.  They refused to operate on his knee and he is being retired from the Air Forces – isn’t that wonderful!!  He expected to be home in a few weeks – he undoubtedly will be home by time this letter reaches you.  Lucky fellow!!  Get his home address and I’ll write to him.  No sense writing to Calif.

Well I have (?) nothing more to say except what I’ll never know how to say adequately – I love you and adore you with all my heart + soul – Goodnight, my sweet, I miss you so very, very much – Wish you were both here so I could smother you with kisses and hugs.

All my love, forever,

Hal